Forums
Shop
Contact
Mystery Men
spacer
Home bullet Forums bullet Other Stuff bullet Films bullet V For Vendetta
Print View · Subscribe Pages: none
V For Vendetta

FullAuto ( 1,042 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: March 20, 2006 at 03:39 PM

spacer

Based on a comic by Alan Moore (same bloke who did Leage of Extraordinary Gentlemen), this film is about a terrorist, sorry, freedom fighter in a future totalitarian Britain.

Now, it's a Yank adaptation (thank you very much, Wachowski brothers) of a Brit comic, which Moore apparently washed his hands of totally upon seeing the screenplay. So although I hope it's going to be good, I fear the worst.

I fear added Yank characters who contribute nothing. I fear further demonisation of the British at the hands of Hollywood (if that's possible, since the USSR fell we're IT as far as bad guys in films are concerned. If they're not some sort of racial minority thatcan be safely picked on e.g. Arab/Asian/black, then they're British).

Case in point, a lot of Yank adaptations move the setting to America. Why haven't they done so here? Well, because America is a shining star of democracy, you see, and they would never allow such a governemnt to come into power and start curtailing their citizens rights.

Whereas, us Brits, well, we're not even a democracy, are we? We basically let America win WWI AND WWII, we're corrupt and evil and we've always secretly hated the Americans for successfully rebelling (sorry, revolting) against colonial rule.

Bitter? Fucking right I am.

•  

Pete ( 701 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: March 20, 2006 at 05:51 PM

spacer

Well from what I've heard it's shite, and although film critics tend to get things a little bit wrong there's rather a lot of the more sensible ones who say it's not worth pissing on if it were on fire... basically.

I did paraphrase slightly

Aren't the Asgard supposedly technologically superior?

•  

FullAuto ( 1,042 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: March 20, 2006 at 05:59 PM

spacer

Rapidly losing faith.

•  

Pete ( 701 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: March 20, 2006 at 06:08 PM

spacer

Well... having said that Empire Online gave it 4 stars, but you've just got to wonder whether some of these reviewers aren't just cheering it one because it's another Wachowski outing.

I'll be waiting for it to come out on DVD and rent it just in case I do see it, it is crap and I've wasted about £20 on my outing

Aren't the Asgard supposedly technologically superior?

•  

FullAuto ( 1,042 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: March 20, 2006 at 07:09 PM

spacer

I have no idea what's going on with film critics. You find one, think they know what they're on about...then they give some steaming pile of cack seven stars. How heavily bribed can you be?

Still, I will go to see V, and cross my fingers in the hope it is not a total waste.

•  

Accounting Troll ( 145 ) · Group: Members · Rank: spacer · Posted On: March 20, 2006 at 07:24 PM

spacer

Hollywood portray the British as villains? There's something original.

I think it is an exaggeration to claim that every Hollywood film depicts the British as villains. What about the ones that take credit for something we did? How would we have won the war if they hadn't captured a German Enigma device for us?

And if you want to know how racist Hollywood is even today, check out the directors commentary for the DVD of The Day After Tommorrow. There's a scene when one of the British characters is saying goodbye to his wife and their baby son, and he kisses her.

The studio executives hated that scene because the male character was black and the female character was white, and the director ended up having a major fight with them. I suspect he would have lost had the two characters been American - all Americans know that we Europeans are morally backward

•  

silvertongedevil ( 333 ) · Group: Contributors · Rank: spacer · Posted On: March 21, 2006 at 07:26 PM

spacer

You mean John Bon Jovi didn't win the war for us?

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

•  

Accounting Troll ( 145 ) · Group: Members · Rank: spacer · Posted On: March 21, 2006 at 07:49 PM

spacer

*Blood pressure shoots through the roof*

Okay, where's my axe? Time to cut everybody at Hollywood down to size.

•  

Lady_Castlemaine ( 170 ) · Group: Contributors · Rank: spacer · Posted On: March 22, 2006 at 12:56 PM

spacer

FullAuto: Whereas, us Brits, well, we're not even a democracy, are we? We basically let America win WWI AND WWII, we're corrupt and evil and we've always secretly hated the Americans for successfully rebelling (sorry, revolting) against colonial rule.

Bitter? Fucking right I am.

Don't forget FA that not only did we let Them win WW11 but we're still paying them for the priveledge!!!!

"To play it safe is not to play at all."

•  

bullet Active Viewers

There are 0 member(s) and 2 guest(s) browsing ( details )

none

Who's Online

43 Guests

View Details

Forum Statistics

7903 Members
451 Topics
2647 Posts

Most Online: 583
Just Joined: Victorbymn

Site Statistics

64 Articles