Forums
Shop
Contact
Mystery Men
spacer
Home bullet Forums bullet Other Stuff bullet Off Topic bullet Pet Hates
Print View · Subscribe Pages ( 4 of 7 ): 1 · · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7
Pet Hates

Accounting Troll ( 145 ) · Group: Members · Rank: spacer · Posted On: March 17, 2006 at 07:29 PM

spacer

Utility bills are increasing at a rate greater than inflation where I live as well. Electricity and gas are going up because North Sea production is declining, although curiously water is going up as well. Welsh Water will increase the avergae household bill to £352 p/a by 2009, which is expensive by English standards, and surprising considering how Wales has no water shortages.

Don't put too much faith in the official crime figures. Blair has been caught fiddling the figures before, such as with the NHS waiting lists. Also, public confidence in the police is so low that people just don't bother reporting crimes any more. If your car gets broken into, would you even bother wasting your time telling the police unless you needed a crime number for the insurance claim?

Most muggings and thefts are to feed the drug habit of the thief. Britain has a massive drugs problem that the government refuses to acknowledge. Teenages in places like the Welsh Valleys know that they have little realistic chance of ever getting a job and getting on in the world, so they just give up and drift into drug addiction and end up commiting crimes to feed their addiction.

As for public transport, most of the railway lines in Wales were closed down back in the 1960s, and bus services are infrequent away from the M4 corridoor. The privatisation of public transport has meant that public transport only exists in areas where it is highly profitable - ie big towns. Those of us who live in small towns and villages have no choice but to use the car, no matter how much the government and police persecute motorists.

To be fair to the police, there are still some crimes they investigate. If you defend yourself against a mugger or burglar, you can expect no mercy from the police and courts for your despicable actions.

And woebetide anybody whom the PC lobby accuse of doing something marginally racist. In these cases, the burden of proof is very much on the defendant. The REALLY infuriating thing is that the thought police are totally indifferent to the real racists, such as Nick Griffin and the rest of his BNP cronies as well as the radical Islamic clerics who urge the murder of anybody who doesn't share their sick racist and misogynistic world-view.

•  

FullAuto ( 1,042 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: March 17, 2006 at 07:40 PM

spacer

Don't put too much faith in the official crime figures

The figures there are from the BCS, not official police figures. The two often disagree.

As for racism: If you have freedom of speech, as we're meant to, then anyone is allowed to say pretty much anything, and anyone may then contradict them, saying whatever they like. Whether it's racist or not. However, if we're going to prosecute or throw people to the Yanks for inciting racist hatred, then both everyone should get the boot equally.

Somehow, I don't think many people will miss a bunch of fascists like the fucking BNP.

•  

silvertongedevil ( 333 ) · Group: Contributors · Rank: spacer · Posted On: March 17, 2006 at 07:45 PM

spacer

I think you misinterpreted what I was getting at in the initial comment but here goes:

You said it yourself, plurality voting system 'is a type of democracy'. In real terms fist past the post as it is sometimes called has many flaws for countries that wish to have a true democracy. When votes are cast in single-member districts which is usually the case, only one member of the legislature is elected to represent that area and the overall winner is determined by who receives the most votes, i.e. the plurality of the vote.

On the other hand PR is a much more representative way of expressing a nations feelings simply because legislators are elected in multimember districts instead of single-member districts, and the number of seats that a party wins in an election is proportional to the amount of its support among voters. That is why in Western Europe, 21 of 28 countries use this system though Switzerland have structured their system slightly different.

to the Africa question, all I can say is go there. They have had handouts for so long they expect it. British troops are stationed in compounds where children stand with their hands through the wire shouting 'give - give' and when the troops don't give they throw rocks or even fire small arms into the camps.
It's a lawless hell hole of a place where people sit on their arses all day and wait for the rest of the world to deliver their food and when they don't they go and kill someone and take what little they had. It's a place where adults have shit loads of children then cripple them so they can go and beg even when contraceptives are freely available.
It's a country where many despotic states are in constant upheaval to the degree that no stability can ever be achieved there - and that's why I say it's a money sponge with no hope no matter how many do-gooders bang their charity gongs at it.

You talk of perceptions - that's life. We are animals that base every moment on perceptions, wrong or right - that's how we work but equally it's all we have. And I have looked at things objectively, my conclusions are made from those same perceptions and not from prejudice or whim or even simple experiences but from everything my senses tell me.

Your comment: 'So which country are you using as your basis of comparison? Where is this paragon of nationhood?' tells me you are using the same argument that everyone else uses. To be honest I am not judging it on any other country or any other system, I just feel that some things should be and others shouldn't. In this instance, you are telling me that you thing this country has got it right. I disagree, it is awash with sleaze, lies, incompetence, indifference, selfishness, well I could go on for pages, I do not base this on any model - it's just based on what I believe should be.
For instance - the Labour party have just been accused of SELLING titles. Now to me that is completely wrong and illegal. When every evening I hear a story like this I have to conclude that this government is appalling. That is a conscious decision made by examining a set of facts, not just a knee jerk reaction to a news item.

Or then again, I may just be playing Devils Advocate.......

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

•  

Accounting Troll ( 145 ) · Group: Members · Rank: spacer · Posted On: March 17, 2006 at 07:45 PM

spacer

I dunno, the BNP are pretty moderate if you stand them next to President Bush

•  

silvertongedevil ( 333 ) · Group: Contributors · Rank: spacer · Posted On: March 17, 2006 at 07:48 PM

spacer

Yeah but don't you think the BNP should be allowed to exist?

How can we have middle ground when there is no extreme?

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

•  

Accounting Troll ( 145 ) · Group: Members · Rank: spacer · Posted On: March 17, 2006 at 07:55 PM

spacer

And don't get me started on Africa.

Most African leaders publicly blame the woes of their people on the legacy of European colonialism in order to avoid questions concerning their corruption.

For instance, Nigeria's oil revenues and other mineral reserves should have made it as prosperous as Western Europe. However, all the money has been filtered off by corrupt officials. Many Nigerians don't want the West to keep on sending out more money because it never gets through to the people who need it; they want us to send out technical expertise to help them make a going concern of their country.

And what abou the living hell that is Zimbabwe? Mgabe and his cronies are so corrupt and ruthless that they are deliberatly starving people to death in regions that sopport the min opposition party. There's a country that would benefit from a spot of regime change.

And how is the West responsible for what has happened to Zaire, or whatever it is calling itself this week. Not only is there a massive civil war, but every one of its neighbours has launched an invasion to gain control of some of its mineral wealth.

Edit: and I've just remembered Rwanda. I suppose it's the fault of the West that the Tutsis and Hutus can't stand each other and regularly commit genocide against each other?

•  

silvertongedevil ( 333 ) · Group: Contributors · Rank: spacer · Posted On: March 17, 2006 at 07:57 PM

spacer

But this is why you can't cure the damn problems there - it's fairly obvious that - oh bollocks to it, this is far too serious for me. I'm off down the pub.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

•  

FullAuto ( 1,042 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: March 17, 2006 at 08:22 PM

spacer

So without any yardstick, how can you know what's in wehat state? You need something to measure against, no matter what it is you're looking at, or you have no sense of perspective. According to your rationale, I have just as much legitimacy as you in saying "This country is totally perfect." Because it's just something I feel should be.

This country isn't perfect, but when assessing a situation, negativity gets you nowhere. You look at the pros AND the cons, the strengths and the weaknesses.

And a funny thing is, every democratic country claims it is a 'true' democracy, because each and every democratic system has it's pros and cons. Christ, even countries which use the same system (the US and UK, for instance) have massive rows over who is the 'more' democratic. There's no such thing as 'true' democracy, just various flavours, each of which various people regard as 'true'.

As for Africa, we shouldn't be giving aid there, because it doesn't reach the people who need it. Perhaps the responsibility did once reside with the British Empire for that continent (or at least most of it), but that time has long passed. They've got control of their own countries now.

As for the UK 'getting it right'...I believe we've got more right than we have wrong, but that's about it. If we want rid of corruption in government, then we need to restrict power to those who don't want it. So far we have dodged establishing a tyranny of the majority, and I hope we go on that way.

•  

Accounting Troll ( 145 ) · Group: Members · Rank: spacer · Posted On: March 20, 2006 at 07:03 PM

spacer

Continuing my long list of things I hate; petulant football managers such as Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho.

Everybody who follows the English Premiership knows that Chelsea are going to win the title by a massive margin. They suffered a rare defeat over the weekend, and how do you think Jose Mourinho responded?

A. Graciously congratulated their opponents on their acheivement.

B. Claimed that all the referees are conspiring against his team and accused his opponents of cheating.

•  

FullAuto ( 1,042 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: March 20, 2006 at 07:06 PM

spacer

That's what we like to see. Sportsmanship.

•  

Accounting Troll ( 145 ) · Group: Members · Rank: spacer · Posted On: March 20, 2006 at 07:27 PM

spacer

I mean, what happened to the notion that how you play is more important than whether you win or lose?

Chelsea's defeat was away from home, so I'm surprised they didn't complain about the state of the pitch as well.

•  

Ivory ( 241 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: March 20, 2006 at 08:23 PM

spacer

i HATE peopel who say 'its about how you play not wether you win or loose' ...then get REALLY stroppy with you if you beat them. OR more to the point, are happy for you to be winning as long as OVERALL they come out on top and if looks like your winnign too many small games, they are vicious!

we are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

•  

Lady_Castlemaine ( 170 ) · Group: Contributors · Rank: spacer · Posted On: March 22, 2006 at 01:03 PM

spacer

FullAuto: That's what we like to see. Sportsmanship.

Win or lose you can't get much better than a group of thigh slappingly, extremely 'fit' bunch of men running about with an oval ball under their arm!! That's what I call 'sporting'

"To play it safe is not to play at all."

•  

Accounting Troll ( 145 ) · Group: Members · Rank: spacer · Posted On: March 22, 2006 at 06:52 PM

spacer

You missed off players swapping shirts at full time

What really annoys me is the way a football player will just roll over and die if an opponent gets within ten yards of him. Nobody's fooled these days...

•  

Ivory ( 241 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: March 22, 2006 at 08:55 PM

spacer

...or worse when they ARE fooled and its obviously a fake! grrrr

peopl who say 'i listened to what you said and took it on bord BUT...' and then say teh EXACT opposite of what you did!

we are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

•  

Previous Topic · Topic Index · Next Topic Pages ( 4 of 7 ): 1 · · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7

bullet Active Viewers

There are 0 member(s) and 2 guest(s) browsing ( details )

none

Who's Online

73 Guests

View Details

Forum Statistics

7903 Members
451 Topics
2647 Posts

Most Online: 583
Just Joined: Victorbymn

Site Statistics

64 Articles