Gadgets
Life
spacer
Forums
Shop
Contact
Star Trek Nemesis
spacer
Home bullet Forums bullet Outpost Modules bullet News bullet Its Tuesday. Again.
Print View · Subscribe Pages: none
Its Tuesday. Again.

cyke ( 208 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: January 10, 2006 at 11:13 AM

spacer

Trailer out for Clerks 2. I think Kevin Smith is vastly overrated but I can't seem to not watch his crap, what's the deal with that? His standup lecture DVD "An evening with Kevin Smith" is very funny though.

This is unbelieveable. I can't believe the VW board sat around and discussed possible adverts then came up with this and couldn't see any potential for causing offense. Mental.

Get well soon Kylie, we miss you.

Hyperdrive comes closer.

Last year's winner in the nuclear and future flight category went to a paper calling for experimental tests of an astonishing new type of engine. According to the paper, this hyperdrive motor would propel a craft through another dimension at enormous speeds. It could leave Earth at lunchtime and get to the moon in time for dinner. There's just one catch: the idea relies on an obscure and largely unrecognised kind of physics.

Anyone else dying for e-book readers to catch on?

George Bush gets more bizzarre;

Last Thursday, President Bush signed into law a prohibition on posting annoying Web messages or sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing your true identity.

In other words, it's OK to flame someone on a mailing list or in a blog as long as you do it under your real name.

I'm off to SilentPCReview. My own personal quest for a silent pc lives on. My current theory is installing my pc in deep space. Possibly on the dark side of the moon. That should stop the noise.

UPDATE: Just had to share this. Enjoy!

"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - George S. Patton

•  

Pete ( 701 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: January 10, 2006 at 04:51 PM

spacer

WHOAH - that Hyperdrive thing is pretty huge. Bearing in mind you'd have to be a fool to believe that in under a few hundred years we've learned everything there is to know about physics, this is getting me kind of excited.

So... if you can adjust the gravity of something, you theoretically wouldn't need massive rockets to make it take off, and if you can adjust those forces, you should also be able to counteract the gravity which, at such speeds, would probably leave you as a smear on the bulkhead at the back of the ship.

As for Clerks 2, Smith's stuff is so watchable because whilst it could be called crap one one level, it's also extremely deep on others. Kind of follows good comic book format in that sense.

Y'know though, I could've sworn Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back was supposed to be the last flick with the two titular heroes in it?

Aren't the Asgard supposedly technologically superior?

•  

FullAuto ( 1,042 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: January 10, 2006 at 04:59 PM

spacer

It was supposed to be the last film set in the Askewniverse, but with Jersey Girl I think Smith discovered his limits and has gone back to doing what he does best.

•  

Pete ( 701 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: January 10, 2006 at 05:32 PM

spacer

Hmm... I can see why you'd want to try new stuff, but it eventually all comes down to "what's the most fun to do?" (for me at least - not aying this is his motivation by any means... he might be reading ).

I think he has a fair deal to say about the world and comedy is possibly the best medium, especially when it's done right, to entertain the audience but also make them think. Jersey Girl had it's fair share of points to make, but the seriousness of it, no matter how light-hearted in places, means it doesn't linger in your mind for as long as his other films.

Sidetracking slightly, you watch Monty Python's Life of Brian just once and you know the plot backwards, remember all the funny scenes, know all the lyrics to "Always look on the bright side of life" and thus, if you're posessed with half a brain, you also get the points it puts across as well (as so many religious folks at the time failed to so completely) and remember it all as a package.

Dogma was great at this. There was humour and whils tthe approach was much more direct, the out-of-this-world (or out-of-the-bible) characters standing tehre in the flesh so to speak seared it into your brain.

Chasing Amy also had some great points and was funny enough and shocking enough (in that it shocks you from beginning to end with the character's revelations... I wasn't saying shocking as in crap) that you remember most of them. Having said that, Ben Affleck'san easy target to kick when he's down so I didn't feel too sorry for him when he didn't end up with anything he really wanted at the end. He's a super-rich movie star in real life so personally I think we tend to care less than if it had been portrayed by a little known actor who you could really believe in.

It's all a different view of our world, not taking it quite as far as some of the best fantasy novels might, but going almost so far as a comic book version... though generally not as expensive to produce

Aren't the Asgard supposedly technologically superior?

•  

cyke ( 208 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: January 10, 2006 at 05:51 PM

spacer

In all seriousness I do own this;
http://www.amaz...7254950-8450856
and its very funny stuff. In real life he's clearly a top bloke, i'm just not convinced he should be a director. Writer? Yes.

"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - George S. Patton

•  

bullet Active Viewers

There are 0 member(s) and 1 guest(s) browsing ( details )

none

Who's Online

58 Guests

View Details

Forum Statistics

7903 Members
451 Topics
2647 Posts

Most Online: 583
Just Joined: Victorbymn

Site Statistics

64 Articles