Gadgets
Life
spacer
Forums
Shop
Contact
Mystery Men
spacer
Home bullet Forums bullet Other Stuff bullet DVDs bullet Piracy Warnings.
Print View · Subscribe Pages ( 1 of 3 ): 1 · 2 · 3
Piracy Warnings.

FullAuto ( 1,042 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 14, 2005 at 03:34 PM

spacer

Thanks to the total lack of effect adverts about stopping piracy are having, the bastards have made them unskippable (on some rental DVDs too, I notice), and have pumped up the music and increased the size of the warnings on screen.
Genius strategy, I must say.

"YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A CAR/PURSE/TELEVISION/(and the best one!)MOVIE." it says, despite the fact that film piracy is quite obviously stealing movies, you fucking morons. Not to mention, I imagine quite a lot of people WOULD steal those items IF the chances of them getting caught and prosecuted were infintesimal.

I also love the assumption in "YOU WOULDN'T STEAL...". Surely it should be "WOULD YOU STEAL...?". I think FACT (or whoever the fuck it is, who cares?) are making dangerous assumptions there that are obviously ruining their shit.

And not to mention the fact that putting warnings against PIRACY on a LEGALLY PURCHASED DVD is a bit fucking pointless. Why do people who buy DVDs legally need warning not to pirate films? Stupidity of this magnitude is staggering.

It's like the warnings on Xbox discs. "DO NOT MAKE ILLEGAL COPIES OF THIS DISC."
I can just see a pirate sat there, about to knock out a few hundred copies (which will no doubt go towards funding terrorism, yes, nice try there, I don't think. Incidentally, if any of you think I'm angry about that because I first thought the "Film piracy funds terrorism" posters in cinemas were some sort of new film advertisement at first, you're wrong. Totally wrong. I assure you) and suddenly seeing that warning and going "Allah hu akhbar! (because piracy funds terrorism, you see, all pirates are in fact terrorists) we had better not copy this disc! It says not to! We must carry out our jihad without the funds from dead or Alive: Naked and Sweaty."

Wankers.

•  

cyke ( 208 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 14, 2005 at 05:08 PM

spacer

They remind me of years ago you had to fast forward through a very boring man sitting telling you how the "new" age ratings on videos worked. Unreal, that they thought people wouldnt realise what a "18" certificate meant.

"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - George S. Patton

•  

FullAuto ( 1,042 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 14, 2005 at 05:17 PM

spacer

"MOVE PIRACY IS STEALING. STEALING IS AGAINST THE LAW."

Like pirates, upon seeing this, will then look at each other and go "What? Really?" and then stop pirating films. They know piracy is stealing. They know stealing is against the law. But they don't care.

•  

Pete ( 701 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 14, 2005 at 05:50 PM

spacer

Shit. I was unaware

Thanks for the info!

Personally, I like having the original versions of everything because it just looks nicer and you occasionally get a neat little booklet etc.

It is rather shit that they make you sit through it though. I can understand it in cinemas, as that's before it;s available on DVD and other easily copyable mediums, but the latest ones with the slides that come down to an ever-more intense background noise - NO NEED!

I had to sit near a speaker as seats were running thin at a screening of something I watche recently and the seats started to vibrate. I couldn't hear because of the fucking ringing in my ears for the first ten minutes of the film!

Wouldn't it be funny if FACT got sued over that?

Don't get me wrong though, I'm with you guys - copyright has a point and should be inforced, but this way is moronic at best. People know it's wrong, and pirates aren't going to be put off by a warning, no matter how much bass you put into the backing track! (Though, they may shut off their DVD copiers if you can make the copyright warning screech as bad as an old ZX Spectrum tape loading a game ).

Aren't the Asgard supposedly technologically superior?

•  

FullAuto ( 1,042 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 14, 2005 at 05:56 PM

spacer

I doubt pirates would provide me with an inflatable axe if I bought a copied version of Kung Fu Hustle.

Ahem.

Sorry, I shall stop going on about that.

I do feel insulted, though. I go out, spend my cash on a legal version of the DVD, then have to sit through a fucking lecture on not pirating films. Surely there's going to be people going "Right, you fuckers, I'm going to pirate some films now, just because you made me sit through that shit." Doing more harm than good.

•  

Pete ( 701 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 14, 2005 at 06:07 PM

spacer

The best ones I find though are the multilingual copyright notices - you know the ones, they've got the red warning header and white writing on a black background.

I only have this gripe when watching extras on some DVD's where I can be bothered, but despite having just watched a DVD in English, almost invariably after the first extra you watch, you're subjected to the same copyright warning you saw at the very beginning of the DVD in a multitude of different languages.

One DVD - I fail to remember which at the moment - had a good 20 notices (well, same notice 20 languages) apugins for about 30 seconds on each. I let it run, thinking (much like Sam Beckett in Quantum Leap) that the end of each copyright screen would be the leap home to the menu, and the next special feature.

WHERE'S THE POINT?!

More to the point, this happens often on discs where the language options only give three languages, and those same three languages are available as subtitles. If we assume the other 17 copyright screens are for countries where people may be watching the DVD because they know English, WHY NOT LEAVE IT AT THE ENGLISH VERSION!!!

•  

FullAuto ( 1,042 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 14, 2005 at 06:11 PM

spacer

Ah, yes, I know them well. Sometimes they actually bracket the feature, so you get them both before and after. As if seeing them twice will indelibly burn them onto your consciousness.

•  

Pete ( 701 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 14, 2005 at 06:25 PM

spacer

But no! I want to show my film on an off-shore oil rig and the warning says I can't!

I love the way they keep throwing this stuff at us, and schools/colleges and other government establishments break the laws at the end of every term/semester/festive period by showing DVD's in those locations it says you're legally not allowed to

The one whereby you're not allowed to let your mates watch it (by lending it to them) is a good'un too

Err... so to be savfe, we should buy a film and seal the house up to make sure there's no peeking from anyone else...?

•  

FullAuto ( 1,042 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 14, 2005 at 06:27 PM

spacer

"FACT will not fund the window-covering steel shutter system necessary for viewing this film."

Charming.

•  

Pete ( 701 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 14, 2005 at 06:32 PM

spacer

Shall we see if we can get an official line on this from FACT when we get a few more regular visitors to the site?

I reckon we could get a few dozen questions together to make them contradict themselves

•  

FullAuto ( 1,042 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 14, 2005 at 06:40 PM

spacer

That would be great. Censorship censors self. We could get a lot of mileage out of that.

•  

Ivory ( 241 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 19, 2005 at 08:58 PM

spacer

i HATE that whole- you woudlnt fund terrorist attacks would you? rubbish! grrrr stupid stupid stupid!

we are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

•  

FullAuto ( 1,042 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 19, 2005 at 09:03 PM

spacer

I find it hilarious. In an indirect fashion, we HAVE funded terrorist attacks. And revolutions and wars, invasions, bombings, assassinations and all sorts that governments regularly do.

•  

Pete ( 701 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 19, 2005 at 09:06 PM

spacer

Yes. It should read "Corrupt government's fund piracy! Enjoy your film"

•  

FullAuto ( 1,042 ) · Group: Administrators · Rank: spacer · Posted On: December 19, 2005 at 09:10 PM

spacer

"Pay your taxes and install a regime...er, democracy in the Middle East."

•  

Previous Topic · Topic Index · Next Topic Pages ( 1 of 3 ): 1 · 2 · 3

bullet Active Viewers

There are 0 member(s) and 1 guest(s) browsing ( details )

none

Who's Online

160 Guests

View Details

Forum Statistics

7903 Members
451 Topics
2647 Posts

Most Online: 583
Just Joined: Victorbymn

Site Statistics

64 Articles