The Last Outpost Forums ( http://www.thelastoutpost.co.uk/forums/ )Sound Of Silence

Source: http://www.thelastoutpost.co.uk/forums/index.php?gettopic=467

Article Bot | August 17, 2006 at 08:32 PM

If a man farts in a silent storm, and there's no one around to hear it...does it still smell? FullAuto finds out.

Discuss the full article - Sound of Silence by FullAuto below...

Slaughter | August 20, 2006 at 10:55 PM

Nice review that sums up my own impressions of the game. Such a shame that so few people has discovered this gem...

As for the writing style, most of it is good as usual. I don't think the penis remarks does anything for the review, but the rest is quality.

Oh, and there's some tags visible in the heading.

FullAuto | August 20, 2006 at 11:37 PM

Cheers, Slaughter, sorted it.

I hope they make a lot more games like this. That's all I can say.

silvertongedevil | August 21, 2006 at 10:13 AM

This game is so cheap on ebay I thought it would be crap.

I may have another look for it.

What is Silent Storm Sentinels? Is that an add on?

Slaughter | August 21, 2006 at 03:40 PM

Buy Silent Storm Gold. It contains both Silent Storm (S2) and the expansion Silent Storm: Sentinels (S3). And do it quick! They are excellent!

FullAuto | August 21, 2006 at 06:35 PM

Aye, Sentinels is an add-onn for Silent Storm. Hammer & Sickle is also excellent.

silvertongedevil | August 21, 2006 at 07:39 PM

Just bought a new copy of the Gold version for a tenner including postage, which seems cheap enough.

Can't wait it looks really good.

Pete | August 21, 2006 at 09:24 PM

Trust us all on this one - it's one of the best games you'll ever play. Even if you don't like the gameplay or plotline, you can have hours of fun laughing at some of the phrases, accents and the game's physics (blowing people up into trees never tires).

Slight spolier coming:

Personally I'm a sucker for sci-fi plotlines so I liked the fricking laser beams. There's even a cool piece of info you can pick up at the end of the game explaining that the laser was constructed from 2000 year old plans which smacks of aliens though every chat session with Nival I mention this in they strangely skirt around the topic.

It could be a sort of pre-cursor to the formation of X-COM

FullAuto | August 21, 2006 at 09:43 PM

I would rather have an authentic WWII scenario, but my argument with the PKs is not that they're futuristic but that they unbalance the game so fundamentally.

Got a review of Hammer and Sickle coming up, which is based around the same game engine. I have yet to pick up Sentinels, but as soon as I do I'll review that as well.

Slaughter | August 21, 2006 at 10:35 PM

You are writing a core version of this too, right?

FullAuto | August 21, 2006 at 11:31 PM

Isn't the SC version just the same but with the swearing taken out?

Pete | August 22, 2006 at 07:04 AM

Pretty much - just sanitised slightly for that wider audience.

Y'know, as I get older it's something that annoys me slightly that the Core originated from squeaky clean origins so to speak, but when the majority of gamers are young and impressionable you've got to cater for everyone.

FullAuto | August 22, 2006 at 07:31 AM

I don't think I can properly justify writing two reviews of the same game. I'll add some scores for the SC version, because we're using scores for SC, right?

Slaughter | August 22, 2006 at 08:07 AM

I'm fine with the same for SC. As for scores, I don't know. Decide for yourself I say, but there's no doubt a lot of people like scores.

FullAuto | August 22, 2006 at 08:09 AM

I don't like them much myself, but I believe the consensus over on SC was that we include them, so we don't alienate anyone.

silvertongedevil | August 22, 2006 at 10:18 AM

I'm with FA - if it's WWII then it should be correct, there is no need to mix the two.

I particularly loath WWII games that put the Americans in places they never were.

FullAuto | August 22, 2006 at 11:12 AM

Thankfully not a problem with this game, as A) It's based wholly in the European theatre, and B) There's only a few Yank characters in the game, and your main character can be Brit, Russian or Yank, it's up to you.

silvertongedevil | August 22, 2006 at 01:15 PM

Then I can't wait - where the hell is that postman?

Slaughter | August 22, 2006 at 09:25 PM

silvertongedevil: Then I can't wait - where the hell is that postman?

Screwing the wife next door. What else?

FullAuto | August 22, 2006 at 11:10 PM

Another thing I like is that the game is European made, so the people that were in WWII are represented, for once. The Polish, Norwegians, Canadians, Spanish, French, Yugoslavians, etc. None of which get a look in most of the time.

silvertongedevil | August 23, 2006 at 08:25 AM

I seem to remember Hidden & Dangerous was like that, though I only played the first two and not to the conclusion due to a million bugs.

Slaughter: Due to the change of the postal system, if he's screwing her she will have to be the correct weight as well as him having the correct size for the slot!!

Pete | August 23, 2006 at 04:45 PM

Indeed - it's most amusing. Those businesses sending a few sheets of A4 will be really panicking until they realise A5 envelopes and an office temp to fold the letters are cheaper than A4 envelopes over the course of the year anyway.

Seriously though, just to piss everyone off the limit for a normal first class stamp is something like 34cm long and 16 cm wide. Howsabout I just get a normal A4 envelope and fold it in half along the length. Job's a good'un.

Royal Mail, you're going all Consignia on us again and once again you will lose absolute MILLIONS!

Ahem. Had a small gripe with this as you can tell

silvertongedevil | August 24, 2006 at 09:11 AM

And not only that, six months down the line they will have to put it all back the way it was.

The game is excellent chaps, a bit odd to start with but I played it most of last night - quite addictive. Yeah, the accents and the comments are a bit tongue in cheek but I love the way the grass and the flowers move as troops walk past them.

FullAuto | August 24, 2006 at 09:36 AM

Glad to hear it. I love some of the exclamations they come up iwth.

"My weapon is naked!", "I am causing injury!" etc.

Accounting Troll | August 25, 2006 at 11:19 PM

If the sci-fi elements of a game set in WWII bother you, just remember that we never did get to the bottom of the aeriel phenonemon called Foo Fighters.

FullAuto | August 26, 2006 at 12:38 PM

I think amphetamines were the culprit there. Being constantly off your tits on Dexedrine would make you see all sorts, never mind UFOs.

Slaughter | August 26, 2006 at 01:51 PM

And FA would know...

FullAuto | August 26, 2006 at 02:04 PM

Hey, I hardly had any of those pills.

Slaughter | August 29, 2006 at 07:17 PM

Why isn't the news updated when a new article is added?

Oh, and I haven't sent this to news sites because it's to be posted at SC.

FullAuto | August 29, 2006 at 07:22 PM

Probably because it already gets one thread as soon as the article is up. It already shows on the front page, too, so having a new article appear in two places on one page might be a bit over the top.

I'm just guessing, mind.

Pete | August 31, 2006 at 07:30 AM

Yup - it updated in the latest articles bit already.

TopSource: http://www.thelastoutpost.co.uk/forums/index.php?gettopic=467