The Last Outpost Forums ( http://www.thelastoutpost.co.uk/forums/ )Nintendo Ds Download Stands

Source: http://www.thelastoutpost.co.uk/forums/index.php?gettopic=284

Slaughter | March 1, 2006 at 05:23 PM

Sort of nice little review of the download stands here.

FullAuto | March 1, 2006 at 06:20 PM

I'm dubious about how widespread they will be, but they sound good.

Slaughter | March 1, 2006 at 11:23 PM

Agreed. Interesting concept, but in little Norway at least there's just not enough people to warrant something like this most places. Still, if it was updated often, it would be nice.

FullAuto | March 2, 2006 at 01:48 PM

I think a few games companies are coming to realise Europe is actually a viable market, and they don't have to restrict their stuff to just Asia and North America, so hopefully Nintendo will go nuts with these download stations and really make the most of the DS's wi-fi connectivity. I can't see the cost of running them being particularly high, so fingers crossed...

I hope they also consider using them as wi-fi gaming hotspots, where you can go to meet other players.

Slaughter | March 2, 2006 at 01:55 PM

FullAuto: I hope they also consider using them as wi-fi gaming hotspots, where you can go to meet other players.

Yeah, that would be very neat! I still haven't tried it in multiplayer. So few games can be played online... Did you test the online play yet?

FullAuto | March 2, 2006 at 03:59 PM

I don't know, I've seen quite a few multiplayer games, but I may just be concentrating my attention upon the multiplayer ones.

I haven't got online with my DS yet (I may or may not at this stage, I'm not sure, online gaming isn't really my thing) but I got a chance to have a crack on Mario Kart DS online, and that was actually a lot of fun. I only played for a few races, but everyone seemed quite amiable and there was no 'STFU NOOB' nonsense that you sometimes get. Connecting was fairly quick and hassle free.

Pete | March 2, 2006 at 04:28 PM

The reason for the amiability is probably because there's no violence involved.

Besides, the hostile conversation would go something like "You ruined my chances you cheating bastard plumber!" followed quickly by "Look who's talking Mushroom".

You just couldn't do serious arguments in that particular gaming world

FullAuto | March 2, 2006 at 05:00 PM

I don't know, any for of competition ends up being grounds for abuse, wherever it takes place, but things did seem a little more relaxed, yes.

Slaughter | March 2, 2006 at 09:55 PM

FullAuto: I don't know, I've seen quite a few multiplayer games, but I may just be concentrating my attention upon the multiplayer ones.

I thought only the games listed here could be played online? I know there are several multiplayer games, but not online...

@Pete: What rock did you hide under lately?

FullAuto | March 2, 2006 at 10:12 PM

Ah, right online! I thought you just meant multiplayer full stop. Aye, there's not many online games at the moment, but I imagine Nintendo will be wanting to make the most of that, so expect a fair few more titles to come.

Noticed that the wifi gaming straight to other DS's doesn't always require that they have the same game, either. Played a game of Advance Wars: DS Combat against a friend, was quite fun, whereas in single player it's a bit shallow.

Slaughter | March 3, 2006 at 01:22 AM

FullAuto: Ah, right online! I thought you just meant multiplayer full stop. Aye, there's not many online games at the moment, but I imagine Nintendo will be wanting to make the most of that, so expect a fair few more titles to come.

Noticed that the wifi gaming straight to other DS's doesn't always require that they have the same game, either. Played a game of Advance Wars: DS Combat against a friend, was quite fun, whereas in single player it's a bit shallow.

Yeah, I imagine they will launch more online titles in the time to come as well. After all, the Opera web browser has been announced for the DS. That seems to confirm that they're putting a stronger focus on the online capabilities of the little bugger now

And yeah, I noticed that several games can be played in multiplayer without owning the game. Only problem I have is that I know no one else that owns a DS where I live

I noticed that the DS Lite did well on it's launch by the way.

FullAuto | March 3, 2006 at 01:46 AM

I didn't think it would do that well actually, it being released so soon after the DS, but I was wrong.

The DS is also still outselling the PSP last I heard, by 4 to 1 or so. Something like 14 million DS's in the hands of gamers worldwide, which is very impressive sales.

I only know one or two other people who own one, though I've seen a few more around.

Slaughter | March 6, 2006 at 11:24 PM

Useful?

FullAuto | March 7, 2006 at 02:11 AM

I knew the DS was fairly open to homebrew stuff, I read an article about it months ago, but Jesus H. Crumpet! I can safely say I was expecting NOTHING like that.

Slaughter | March 7, 2006 at 11:03 PM

Indeed

More good news

FullAuto | March 8, 2006 at 02:45 AM

Not too shabby at all. I think it's probably the best online service yet. Free, simple and easy to sort out. As soon as a game comes out that I want to play online, I'm in, though I may ju8st wait til I can get Mario Kart DS cheap.

Online gaming doesn't really seem to be my thing up til now, I tried Xbox Live and abruptly cancelled it not a month later, because the place was dripping arseholes and I don't find being called names every time you do anything remotely decent enjoyable. Halo 2 in particular was great for online multiplayer, but the amount of abuse being flung around was just fucking stupid.

One of the reasons I won't be getting an Xbox 360. The 'always online' concept does not attract me at all. Apparently the Revolution, Nintendo's next console, will be using a system very similar to the DS's, totally free, wireless and easy as pie. That is something I'm lookign forward to.

Slaughter | March 8, 2006 at 05:40 PM

Yeah, I look forwards to the Revolution as well. While XBox and Playstation try to steal PC developers, and dumb down their games, Nintendo sticks to the sort of games they always made (meaning less FPS and the likes). In addition they keep a strong focus on innovation.

FullAuto | March 9, 2006 at 07:19 AM

That's one trend I absolutely despise. Games being dumbed down or just not getting released, because the format is a console. I always feel particularly insulted, especially when the game wasn't exactly challenging to begin with. Call of Duty springs to mind. I had a go on the PC version, thought it was brilliant. Played the console version and I just thought "Where has the goodness gone?"

I think Nintendo are taking a different direction to Sony and MS, sticking with DVD instead of moving up to Blu-Ray or HDDVD, really departing from the usual controller style (that they invented in the first place) and generally relying a lot more on innovation and invention, instead of falling back upon regurgitation and refinement.

I think a lot of people are going to be put off, by the Revolution itself and it's controller, but I believe it's being much truer to the spirit of gaming than anything else.

Slaughter | March 14, 2006 at 12:42 AM

Another Opera DS interview.

FullAuto | March 14, 2006 at 05:59 AM

Nice. There is some talk of the DS game medium being used to store files (not sure how big the cartridges are, 16MB?) but I think there's already a 4GB storage device out there. That really opens up an avenue for downloading music, etc combined with Opera as a browser.

One thing I hate about all the latest interviews is that the answers are so bloody rehearsed. Either that or the interviewer's questions are shit.

"What do you think of Nintendo, who are currently pumping millions of dollars into your company?"

"We think they're great."

Well, what the fuck else is he going to say?

Slaughter | March 14, 2006 at 04:17 PM

Yeah, downloading stuff to the DS would be neat. In the end we might use the DS for everything! Think they could add a mobile phone?

Seriously though, downloading MP3 and the likes to the DS would be neat with the right size memory card.

As for the interviews, I think they are very limited in what they can tell. That, and as you point out, stupid questions . Reminds me of the typical sports question: "What do you feel now?"... The dude just won the world championship! What does the idiots think he feels!?!

Slaughter | March 22, 2006 at 06:49 PM

Speaking of download...

Slaughter | March 23, 2006 at 09:43 AM

Looks like you'll get a few download stations over there after all FA. Check out this.

FullAuto | March 23, 2006 at 12:28 PM

Blimey. Who'da thunk it. This is a pretty big step forward for Nintendo, usually they don't give much of a toss about us Europeans. It's a pretty nice way of publicising new games, too.

As for the 4GB storage media, that's not too bad at all. Price is a bit steep, but that will come down, I imagine. Wonder how long before a TV tuner comes out for it and you can watch telly and record your fave programmes on your DS?

Pete | March 23, 2006 at 01:55 PM

I think I read somewhere that in Japan USB pen drives are currently at 8GB as standard and rising, so that 4GB storage media will probably come down in price fairly soon.

Of course, since most console/hand-held stuff is over-priced to start with it's only going to come down to what it should have been in the first place

FullAuto | March 23, 2006 at 03:24 PM

The UK does get hit with a lot of fuck-you tax on stuff like that. PSPs sold for £105 in Japan. Over here, they were double that.

Slaughter | March 23, 2006 at 05:40 PM

Yeah, it's good to see Nintendo focusing on us Europeans a little as well.

As for the media addin, I think it's safe to say it will come down in price. Take a look at this "HDD killer" . In a few years we'll probably be rid of the useless harddrives for anything but MASSIVE storage.

FullAuto | March 23, 2006 at 05:48 PM

the Japs will be all over that, their technology always has to be the smallest it can be, hence the DS Lite. Very developed sense of aesthetics, those folk.

Here's hoping the Download Stands spread to the rest of Europe.

Slaughter | March 24, 2006 at 12:46 PM

Spore and new Zelda coming

FullAuto | March 24, 2006 at 02:11 PM

Zelda are always pretty good games. Surprised about Spore, though!

I know you like adventure games, Slaughter, so if you can find it for a decent price check out Another Code (also known as Trace Memory). It's a bit short, but it's a good game.

Slaughter | March 24, 2006 at 05:29 PM

Yeah, I loved Zelda for the Nintendo Genesis (that was the 16bit one, right?). The 64 stuff didn't sit well with me however...

And thanks for the heads up on Trace Memory! I'll keep it in mind.

FullAuto | March 24, 2006 at 05:59 PM

Genesis was Sega, mate!

You're thinking of the SNES/Super Famicom. Zelda: A Link To The Past was brilliant, a truly landmark game. I agree, the 64 bit efforts weren't up to scratch, though there's been some good ones for the GBA (Minish Cap) and Wind Waker was pretty good, though it had an unusual graphical style.

Looking forward to the new one, as well.

Azrael Strife | March 24, 2006 at 08:36 PM

I loved Zelda: A Link To The Past; 64's Zelda: The Ocarina of Time was great too, but probably not as good. Why didn't they made any truly good N64 games? That console seems like a waste of time for me to Nintendo, they released it but never really did anything, there are tons and tons of SNES games, while there are few N64, and the ones in SNES were usually better.

FullAuto | March 24, 2006 at 09:27 PM

I think Nintendo's odd policies towards third party developers around that time didn't help any. They released two Zelda games for the N64 I think, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Both were good games, but not as good as you'd expect of the Zelda series.

Though that was a weird time in the consoles world, with the Dreamcast going down the toilet and Sonytaking their frist step into the arena anyway.

Slaughter | March 25, 2006 at 01:32 AM

Yeah, the 64 was a big joke! In that regard I think it's a good thing that Sony and Microsoft entered the arena. No competition for Nintendo would probably have sent the consoles down the drain. If the Revolution does as well as I'm starting to believe it will, Nintendo should do well in the time to come.

Oh, and speaking of Genesis...

FullAuto | March 25, 2006 at 11:24 AM

Well, I'm not too confident about the Revolution, I have to say. I think a lot of folks will be put off because A) It's not new technology, so it doesn't have the whizz-bang latest supercooled technology-of-thefuture that the 360 and the PS3 has and B) The controller, while innovative, is a big departure from the norm.

Still, I think a lot of hardcore gamers will buy it anyway, and some casual gamers who don't want to spend a lot will also pick it up. I think it's probably the way forward for 'true' gaming as I see it.

Plus, it emulates old Ninty games, too. Smart.

Slaughter | March 25, 2006 at 10:20 PM

I think the Revolutions strength is that is doesn't have the fantastic hardware. Playstation 3 and XBox 360 is all about graphics, while the Revolution will have to follow it's little brother DS in many ways; gameplay to sell over graphics. Then again, there are probably too many casual retards that think graphics roxors for that to ever happen...

Reason I think the Revolution might do well is the small trend I think I see in PC gaming. Several turn-based strategy games has done really well lately (most notably CivIV and GalCivII), and innovative games like Spore is generating massive interest. Everyone that has seen the Spore video think it's amazing, and if the Revolution can present similar amazing innovation it might just steal the people that are getting tired of the other consoles graphics battle. It's a long shot, but we can always hope...

FullAuto | March 25, 2006 at 10:30 PM

I really hope you're right. I think a lot of gamers will stick with Sony and MS, they're too entrenched in the brands and have too much of their own ego invested in them, but likewise I hope the hardcore and those just getting into gaming pick up the Revolution. The Gameube had several rather good looking games (Resident Evil 4 was a beautiful game) so I hope they keep refining the DVD tech and bring out some fine looking games that are innovative as well. Hopefully this will turn the tide of graphics worship.

I read a confusing statement from Nintendo the other day. They said you would be able to use GC controllers with the Revolution through some sort of add-on, but then went on to say a lot of games would work with the Revo's controller anyway. I wonder if the Revo will play DVDs and CDs, too. I hope not.

Slaughter | April 4, 2006 at 04:09 PM

Nintendo is doing well

FullAuto | April 4, 2006 at 04:37 PM

This - http://uk.gizmo...t_in_hours.html - probably won't hurt them either.

Still, they're the only company out of the big three to consistently make money on their hardware (Xbox and PS2 were sold at a loss, didn't make money for years, and neither will the 360, the PS3 or the PSP).

Slaughter | April 4, 2006 at 08:54 PM

Indeed! Sony is having some serious trouble these days from what I hear. Go Nintendo!

FullAuto | April 4, 2006 at 09:03 PM

They've taken a hit recently, but they're quite big, and they make such a wide range of products that they've got plenty of reserves to sink into their console business. Same for MS, really.

Slaughter | April 25, 2006 at 01:43 PM

Square-Enix has announced a few new titles.

FullAuto | April 25, 2006 at 02:28 PM

Not shy about re-releasing old FF titles, are they? Still, some new ones in there should be good.

I'm quite looking forward to playing this:

http://www.euro...rticle_id=61484

TopSource: http://www.thelastoutpost.co.uk/forums/index.php?gettopic=284